Membership in the Tusquahoma Chapter of the National Honor Society is an honor given to students at the beginning of the spring semester of their junior year, who exhibit the highest standard of Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service in their school and community.
In order to be considered for membership, students must fill out an application in the beginning of the spring semester their junior year. Each section of the application must be completed in full, in order for the participant’s application to be processed by the sponsors and approved by the Faculty Council. If a student is not selected for membership, he/she may reapply in the spring semester of senior year. Those whom receive an invitation to be inducted as a member of NHS must return a membership obligation form that will be posted on Google Classroom.
2024 Google Classroom Join Code: umigisv
2024 Induction Ceremony: Sunday, March 3rd @ 2PM in the Auditorium
- The student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 (no rounding) as reported on their transcript.
- Students must have the required academic requirement courses appear on their transcript by their 5th semester of their junior year:
- English I, II, and III
- Algebra I, Geometry, and 3rd Math credit
- Biology I, Chemistry I, and 3rd additional Science credit
- Civics and/or Human Geography, US History, and 3rd additional Social Studies credit
- Students must have at least 4 rigorous academic courses listed on their transcript – labeled as an Advanced Placement, Dual Enrollment, Honors, Gifted, or pre-AP.
- Students must receive at least 6 teacher recommendations. Mrs. Lovelady will give a list of all applicants for teachers to recommend, teachers will give special consideration to behavior, attitude, honesty, attendance, and punctuality.
- Students applying for membership will not be considered if they receive more than one major discipline report. Current members will be dropped from membership if they receive a discipline report (major or minor). Discipline records will be checked at the time of application and before graduation.
- Students must describe at least 2 examples of ways they have demonstrated leadership abilities during their high school years. These examples must be specific and include duties performed.
- Applicants must submit at least 2 examples of service to their school or community during their high school years. These examples must be specific and should include duties performed.
Maintaining Membership Once Inducted:
To maintain membership in the National Honor Society, students must
- Pay $15 dues prior to the induction ceremony (junior year).
- Pay $40 fee to cover the cost of the club t-shirt and graduation stole (senior year).
- Maintain earned GPA of at least 3.3 (to be checked 3 weeks prior to graduation).
- Complete four service projects during senior year.
- Receive no discipline reports.
- Be enrolled in three academic courses in both semesters.
- Attend induction rehearsal, ceremony, fall and spring meetings.
- Maintain the highest levels of personal conduct, loyalty to school, respect for self and authority, and honesty in classwork and dealing with others.
Failure to meet any of the above requirements will result in being dropped from membership in the National Honor Society.